Installing Mikrotik on Qemu Image
Another network device can running on simulator, make easy to learn and develop. Sometime, we want to create some mikrotik network topology and test how it works, how it be made?. For example, we want to make some test with 4-8 routers to simulate real network and with real routerboard that is not possible , because we need lot of money to buy it.
With MikroTik running in GNS3, is make so easy to learn and practice more of MikroTik features, anytime anywhere. We can try some features in simulation network lab with any topology before its will deploy or implement in the real network. On in our class, we use it for teaching. We are the first one MikroTik training partner that use network simulator for teaching, especially in MTCINE certification.
GNS3 (Graphical Network Simulator) is a program that can simulate complex network topologies with running multi-vendor devices like cisco and juniper, one of features called Qemu emulation can run a MiroTik, although not 100% perfect (wireless is unsupported), the step to do it can be describe as this picture:
And this is detail of step by step:
- Download GNS3 from http://www.gns3.net/download/, choose all-in-one installer because there is include Qemu software.
- Download Mikrotik .ISO file from mikrotik official website www.mikrotik.com/download and choose x86 hardware architecture.
- Move MiroTik ISO file that we downloaded previously to the folder where the GNS3 program located. We will change the ISO file to be loaded by the IMG file for Qemu in GNS3. Open windows command prompt and go to directory where GNS3 program is, examples
C:\Users\admin>cd C:\Program Files\GNS3
- Then run the command to make the image file, for example named mikrotik.img
C:\Program Files\GNS3>qemu-img.exe create -f qcow2 mikrotik.img 256M
Until a successful image-making information
Formatting 'mikrotik.img', fmt=qcow2 size=268435456 encryption=off cluster_size=0
- Install ISO file that we download before to the image that had been created
C:\Program Files\GNS3> qemu.exe mikrotik.img -boot d -cdrom "mikrotik-6.33.iso"
MiroTik installation process similar to when we install using the CD-room
Just follow the guide screen to complete the installation process.
- After the installation is complete (indicated by RouterOS reboot), close the window and try qemu by boot RouterOS from the image that has been loaded with the command MiroTik:
C:\Program Files\GNS3>qemu.exe mikrotik.img -boot c –localtime
Then Qemu will boot and run routeros until see the login promt MiroTik routeros.
Put MikroTik Image on GNS3
This is article showing installation on GNS3 version 0,8xx , if you using 1.xx version installation will little bit different.
- Open GNS3 program with administrator previlige
- Make GNS3 to load Mikrotik image that we create previously, In GNS3 menu click Edit > Preferences > and go to Qemu Guest tab
- Give one name of Qemu Guest and direct Binary Image to image file that we create previously, setting virtual RAM and number of interface Ethernet of our mikrotik, then save.
- Change Qemu Guest Symbol
- MikroTik as Qemu Guest is ready to use in GNS3 Topology